Planned Outage - Degreeworks

Please note that on Thursday, September 23rd DegreeWorks will be unavailable due to planned maintenance. DegreeWorks will be available again starting Friday, September 24th.

Veterans Application Checklist

If you want to apply for Veterans Affairs (VA) Educational Benefits, please follow this checklist. If you are also applying for tuition assistance, please visit the Military Tuition Assistance page.

If you have any questions about this process or you are a first time student please contact:

Amy Cyphers


  1. Apply for Admissions

    Make sure you are eligible to be a student and Apply Now through the Admissions Department.
  2. Send Transcripts

    The Registrar's Office needs a copy of all of your Official Transcripts, including military transcripts. All official transcripts must be on file before any enrollment information can be sent to VA.

    Community College of the Air Force Transcript Request System
    AARTS/Army/ACE Registry Transcript System
    SMART Sailor Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript System
    U.S. Coast Guard Official Transcript Request System

    Note: Veterans Transcript request processes are often different than Active Duty transcript requests.
  3. Enroll in courses with an Academic Advisor

    You must follow a degree/certificate program in the Course Catalog. Let the advisor know you plan on using VA Educational Benefits. Please note: The academic advisor is there to help you choose your courses not advise on military benefits.

    Kendall Bernstorf, Butler of McConnell, Academic Advisor

    Deb Reynolds, Butler Service Center, Academic Advisor

    Aaron Slemp, Butler of Andover, Academic Advisor
  4. Choose your Chapter

    Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty, Discharged, Retired.
    Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation-student works directly with Case Manager in Wichita.
    Chapter 33 - Post 911 GI Bill®- For students serving active duty after 9/11/2001.
    Chapter 33 - Post 911 Dependents – Post 911-Veteran can transfer benefits to dependent(s).
    Chapter 35 - Dependents Educational Assistance- Military disabled or deceased veteran can transfer benefits to spouse or child.
    Chapter 1606 - Selected Reserve Assistance Program - For students who are currently actively drilling with Guard or Reserve.
  5. Apply Online for VA Benefits

    If you have used benefits before at another college but are now degree seeking at Butler, you will need to fill out a change of school form (22-1995 veteran, 22-5495 dependent) with VA. You can access these forms and apply for VA benefits at the VA E-benefits portal

    Please be aware when selecting Chapter 33-Post/911 you are required to forfeit another benefit. You can research which Chapter is best for you using the GI Bill® benefit comparison tool
  6. Submit Enrollment Certification Request Form

    Submit the Enrollment Certification Request Form and supporting documentation to Amy Cyphers, VA Certifying Official. This form must be turned in each semester in order for your enrollment to be sent to VA.