Certified Nurse Aide
Learn the art of giving a quality of care that shows you care to give it.
A great deal of the day-to-day care provided in nursing homes, assisted living communities and other long-term care settings are performed by a Certified Nurse Aide (CNA). While you are working under supervision of licensed nurses, the role you play in residents' healthcare puts you in the best position to get to know them and keep a close watch on their condition.
Butler's comprehensive CNA program prepares you to take the exam developed by the Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services (KDADS). Our formula for small class sizes and instructors who work closely with students has produced a pass rate of more than 95 percent for the state certification exam. Some students continue their education in the Patient Care Pathways program, while others begin careers as Nurse Aides.
Prerequisites for Certified Nurse Aide (AH 122, 5 credit hours)
- Students are required to take the ASSET exam.
- Bring the following on the first day of class: Copy of tuberculosis skin test or chest x-ray current within one year, completed copy of Health Record (Physical and TB form)
- CNA students will need to wear a purple scrub shirt purchased at the Bookstore and khaki slacks or skirt. Shoes should be white leather or canvas with little or no color on them. Crocs, open toed shoes or heels are unacceptable.
- Each student must pay a fee for the state exam. This is collected with tuition.
- Textbook(s) are available at Butler Bookstores located in El Dorado, Andover, Marion and Council Grove.
*CNA classes also meet on some Saturdays or Sundays.
Classes You Take:
State Exam for CNA
Allied Health will notify you of your state testing date and time. You must successfully complete the AH 122 Certified Nurse Aide course with a C or above before you are eligible to take the exam. The state exam is regulated and written by the Kansas Department of Aging & Disabilities Services.
The cost of the exam is collected with your tuition payment. All fees are nonrefundable.
Questions about the state exam may be addressed to the following:
Health Occupations Credentialing, KDADS
612 S. Kansas Avenue
Topeka, KS 66603-3404